The Illinois Fire Chiefs Secretaries Association was founded in September, 1980, when a group of ten secretaries from across the State of Illinois gathered for the purpose of determining the educational needs of the Fire Service Secretary.
Our founders were:
- Marjorie Coonradt, Rockford Fire Department
- Pat Phillips, Palatine Fire Department
- Maryileen Heard/Henrici, Elk Grove Village Fire Department
- Dolores Juzwik, Glenview Fire Department
- Carole Cook, Lisle-Woodridge Fire Protection District
- Gail Hart, Arlington Heights Fire Department
- Bernice Feinendegen, Skokie Fire Department
- Dolores Reschke, Libertyville Fire Department
- Marlene Hajek, Mount Prospect Fire Department
- Vera Massey, Rolling Meadows Fire Department
Their conclusions were:
Our own organization was needed since secretaries in the Fire Service have problems and educational needs unique to their own profession. The organization should also have a close bond with the Illinois Fire Chiefs Assocation.
The need for educational opportunities in the Fire Service was found for enhancement of knowledge and value to the department.
A Board of Directors was then formed and Officers were appointed. The association has since grown from those ten secretaries to a proud membership of over 240 secretaries throughout the state.